Friday, November 11, 2005

My taxes pay your salary!

When you are in trouble with the police never say that your taxes pay his or her salary, it makes them really mad and then you get a ticket or you go to jail.

I heard a new one last night. I attended a talk by a Sister of St. Joseph on Socially Repsonsible Investing (see here for more info). When you own stock in a company you can use that influence to try to get changes made in the behavior of the company. She related a story where she was meeting with a CEO of a company in Ireland and asked for a policy change at a company. The CEO got very upset with here because it was a sensitive topic and then said,
"Well I am catholic and my donations pay your salary..."
And then he seemed to think that he could order her around because of it. I don't think it is wise to use the taxes/donations line on nuns or priests either, it usually backfires just like with the police, but the idea of it is very funny.

No comments: