Monday, August 30, 2010

Mosaic of stars at the Chicago Stained Glass Museum

While on vacation we visited the Smith Museum of Stained Glass Windows on Navy Pier on Chicago. They also had an exhibit of mosaics. This mosaic, "When the Star Line Up For You", by Yulia Hanensen of Baltimore, Maryland in 2009 is made of smalti, coal, glass and gold. It was very beautiful in person and the straight on picture captures some of it, but the stars were three dimensional and bulged out of the mosaic. The picture below from the side captures some of the effect.


I would love this for my home.


2 comments:

Laura Goff said...

Wow! That is some incredible work. I have designed and made some mosaics. That is stunning. Thanks for posting it. I am going to share this with my stained glass friends.

Laura Goff Parham
State of the Art, Inc
Stained Glass Studio
http://www.sotaglass.com/

Garfield said...

Wow, I haven't ever seen church stained glass windows that were 3D before, that would be interesting to see. I wonder if they take a lot of maintenance or not.