Thursday, November 10, 2005

The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald

FARK reminded me today that 30 years ago the Edmund Fitzgerald sank with all hands in Lake Michigan. This most famous lake Michigan wreck inspired the song by Gordon Lightfoot and was a sensation because it happened in relatively modern times while most people think of shipwrecks as a long ago thing.

As a big fan of the Michigan's Upper Peninsula I didn't want to forget to mark this day. I have been to the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum near the Whitefish Point Lighthouse and seen the exhibits and learned the story of this wreck very close to where it occurred. The Toledo Blade has an article detailing the story.

My frequent readers will appreciate that I am a bit of a lighthouse buff and that I try to get to and see lighthouses in my travels. Vacationing on the Upper Peninsula affords a lot of chances to see lighthouses. One summer we went Northeast from Escanaba to visit the Whitefish Point Lighthouse and the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, and we also went to Crisp Point Lighthouse which was tough because we were driving a borrowed car on dirt roads and running out of gas. I also got attacked by Sable flies on the same trip when we visited Au Sable and walked two miles to see that lighthouse. I will do a lot (maybe too much) just to get a picture of a lighthouse.

No comments: