Sunday, January 28, 2007

MoMA has THE Dali

I had never been to the Museum of Modern Art in New York before, and we were not going to get to spend all day or the several days there as required so we wanted to see some of the most famous works. As we looked around I was star struck (art struck? start struck?) to find that they had the signature paintings of many of the world's most famous artists. I kept referring to them as the painting or the artist.

For instance, MoMA has the Dali, "Persistence of Memory"


I am awestruck. Surprisingly, this paining is very tiny, smaller than a regular 8.5"x11' sheet of paper. It was very detailed and vivid in real life. I am afraid that no picture I take will do these paintings justice.

This is not to be confused with the Dali Llama, which I coincidentally found today. (found here drawn by John).


Am I an art criminal for pairing these two together here? I don't think so, Dali would have perhaps approved, and the whole idea of the current post-modern age is to pair the sacred with the profane, or the transcendent with the banal.

No comments: