Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Loving alphabets and language

I remember learning the Greek alphabet in high school, not because I was on the Classics track (Latin and Greek, Virgil and Homer), but because I wanted to have more ways to represent variables in my physics class. Typical engineer to avoid the humanities but still learn a foreign alphabet so he can calculate. I do remember when I was little, my parents had the Worldbook encyclopedias. Each letter started with the history of that letter and how it had evolved through time. Memorization of the Greek alphabet also came in handy when you join a fraternity. I can recite the Greek alphabet at a pretty quick pace.

Please do click on the link and watch the alphabets evolve from the Phoenician through to the Roman. It is fascinating.

No comments: